Good Afternoon, Families!

There is a lot going on this week so I'm going to get started!

Book Fair
The Scholastic Book Fair has been scheduled for this coming week for months, I just want to lead with that.  Jenny has done a phenomenal job setting it up and getting information out to not only staff and families, but also our surrounding community.  Bodega Bay is soooooo supportive of our school and many of the residents really like to be involved so letting them know when they can be is an important job!  

Jenny reached out to Scholastic and said, "Hey, Scholastic, shouldn't we already have our books?"  The fine folks at Scholastic replied, "Hey, Jenny!  They are on their way!  We're going to send you the tracking!"  Jenny said, "Yay!"  Shortly thereafter Jenny got the tracking.  It said we could expect to get our books for our May 8th - 12th book fair by 7pm on May 10th.  Wait...What?  Okay so I'm NOT going to tell you what Jenny said but I can assure you in was thorough and on point.   When she got done telling us how she really felt, she got back in touch with the fine folks at Scholastic and said, "Hey guys!  7pm on May 10th is a little late, dontcha think?!"  They said, "Oh hi, Jenny!  Don't you worry about that silly old tracking information generated by UPS!  WE have consulted our crystal book and it says that you're going to get the books on the 8th!  Isn't that great?!  That's ALSO the date of your sale!  So I guess you'll have them in time!"  Jenny is a linguist with a very broad vocabulary.  She used some more of her colorful word-smithing and came up with a plan....

The book sale is being moved to 5/16 - 5/18.  Sure, I could have said that from the start but where's the fun in that?

Plant Sale
I am very pleased to report that our 1st Annual Plant Sale was a success! We earned almost $800!  I still have more plants so please let me know if you would like any of them!  

Here is a link to the Google Form you can use for ordering, or you can send me a message here on Parent Square!
https://forms.gle/zypCUKNjv76PcCrs5

I am getting into the planning stage of our new garden and after that is going to be the construction phase.  Volunteers and materials or money donations are going to be a big part of this happening so please start thinking about if you have the skills, time, or some materials (or cash!) to offer.  I don't have a timeline yet but it is soon to come!  We are going to be moving the current Memorial garden fence to another location and integrating the features in it to the new garden.  There's lots to be done!

Teacher Appreciation Week
This feels weird talking about this so I definitely have my principal's hat on right now!  Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week so reach out to your teacher at some point and let you know how much you appreciate them!  At our school, one would think that we have 3 teachers, but really we have 8.  Tiffany, Jenny, Sonia, Dave, & Mirella teach all of the kids so much every day, it would truly be a disservice to not acknowledge their dedication and accomplishments where your child's learning is concerned.  Please reach out to them at some point and let them know how valuable they are!

Special Program This Week
We are hosting The Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary on Monday!  They are going to meeting with all of the classes to talk about some really cool marine science!  Pre K - 1 will get to explore what it's like to be a crab, and 2 - 4 will build a shark!  It's going to be super fun so make sure you ask about it at dinner Monday night!

Spirit Week: 

Monday: Lime Green or Neon Colors

Tuesday: Favorite Band T-shirt

Wednesday: Workout Wednesday

Thursday: Kindness Day

Friday: BBS Blue

Egg Drop
Our first annual Egg Drop Challenge is happening on Wednesday, 5/17!  This is where your child will devise protective gear around a raw egg to keep it from breaking when being dropped from the top of a ladder truck!  Why?  Why the heck not?!  It's science, baby!  They are to stick to REUSED/REPURPOSED items.  The only thing that doesn't have to be reused is tape.  They will be designing it and writing about it (1st - 4th - preschool & kinder will draw their idea) and then bringing that blueprint home to you with a supply list. This is a really fun project and it will be really easy for you to take over!  Please refrain from explaining to your child what they are going to do (and then doing it for them), instead coax the ideas from them and LET THEM FAIL!  If we never got anything wrong, we would never learn!  If they want to use a paper towel to make a parachute and tape it to the egg, LET THEM!  This is a learning exercise and we will be talking about what goes wrong and what goes right so please just let them have that journey.

Have a great week!
C-

Dates to Remember....too many, check the calendar!

5/8 - 5/12 - Teacher Appreciation Week
5/10 - Mother's Day Boutique ** No cash required, they use Bodega Bucks :)
5/15 - 5/26 - CAASPP testing for 3rd & 4th grade
5/15 - District Staff Meeting (Dude, it's on the calendar! )
5/16 - 5/18 - Scholastic Book Fair

5/17 - Egg Drop
5/18 - Board Meeting 6pm @ BBS
5/19 - Mother's Day Dinner, 3pm - 5pm
5/22 - BBS Musical, "Hatschepsut - Queen of Denial"
5/24 - District Social at Hog Island
5/29 - Memorial Day, NO SCHOOL!
5/31 - Open House, 5pm - 6pm
6/2 - Field Trip: Beach Clean Up
6/6 - Minimum Day
6/7 - Minimum Day: Promotion
6/8 - Minimum Day: Carnival: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! PARENTS, TAG!  YOU'RE IT!