Hello Families!

I hope you had a fun St. Patrick's Day and a restful 3 day weekend!  I sure hope that nasty leprechaun didn't destroy my classroom again!  That guy's a jerk.

Fisherman's Festival is coming on April 22nd & 23rd!  Every year we have a booth at the festival and in exchange we have gotten our yearbooks paid for so that all students and staff get free yearbooks.  This is an over $800 donation!!  Our booth this year is a child activity booth where PTA purchases materials and kids come and paint rocks and drift wood for free.  The festival also gave us the jumpies to manage.  Kids pay $10 for access to the jumpies all day long.  

Volunteers get free access to the festival and work 4 hour shifts, and you can bring your kids for free!  There is a sign up sheet on the front table at school and I will be sending out a digital sign up with time slot
s soon.  We receive a very sizable donation from the Fisherman's Festival that, in addition to our yearbooks being paid for, our graduating seniors have a chance to receive a $1,000 scholarship to college!  Let's help them help us!

Our 1st Annual Plant Sale & Baked Goods Bonanza is going to be here before we know it!  I have a bunch of veggie starts from seeds from my own garden last year that have sprouted, so we're off to a start but I ran out of the containers for them so if you have any 6-pack, 2" or 4" containers I can have, they would be appreciated!  Also, if you know of anyone who has a nursery or if you think you have access to one that you might be able to get a donation of plant from, please reach out to them and let me know if you come up with anything!  All of the proceeds from our sale will go toward the improvements we have planned for our garden.  We will not be able to cover the costs just from this sale, but we are hoping to generate some good will from the community with monetary donations as well as materials and volunteer time.

Since we will be having folks coming to campus that Saturday, April 29, we thought we would also have a bake sale to help add to our fundraising.  If you would like to bake some goodies that you can donate, please let us know!  We will be needing some volunteers to help run the sale.  That sign up will be sent home and is available now!

Don't forget to keep an eye on our school website!  Admittedly I haven't been great about updating it but I feel like now that I have asked you to go there, that will force me to give it the love and attention it deserves!  I will be reviewing the releases for student pictures used online because I would like to get some kiddos' faces up there!  Please let the office know if you need to make an adjustment to your child's digital image release form.

One more thing...

Our district is being faced with making some changes as a response to a budget crisis we are finding ourselves in.  There is a link on all of the school's websites that opens the conversation up for your input.  Here is the link.  I encourage you to not only fill out the short survey but also read the comments left by others.  I don't know if your browser will translate the comments to Spanish, but if they do not, it will be worth the time to translate them.  

It is my feeling that we are all one district and need to work together to find solutions that best serve all of our students.  If the BBS community does not join the conversation then others will be determining our fate, it's a very simple equation.   The Bodega Bay students and families need to use their voice when given the chance to speak up, and this is your chance.  Your participation in this does not require you to attend a meeting, you just have to read and type.  I urge you to speak up if you have something to say.

I also urge you to come to PTA meetings and log in to the monthly Zoom board meetings whenever possible (Showing up in person would be even better!)  You are not required to speak or even have your camera on.  If you go, put your name and BBS so that people know that we are represented.  For example I would put "Carrie O'Donnell - BBS".  You can speak up, type your comments in the comment thread or just listen, but being there shows you're invested in representing our school and your children.

Thank you wonderful parents!  Have a splendid week!
Carrie

Dates to Remember

3/27 - BBS Community Schools Meeting @ 5pm
4/10 - 4/14 - Spring Break, NO SCHOOL!
4/22 & 4/23 - 50th Anniversary of Bodega Bay Fisherman's Festival
4/29 - 1st Annual Plant Sale & Bake Sale Bonanza
5/15 - 5/26 - CAASPP testing for 3rd & 4th grade
5/19 - Mother's Day Dinner, 2pm - 5pm
4/24 - BBS Community Schools Meeting @ 5pm
5/29 - Memorial Day, NO SCHOOL!
5/31 - Open House, 5pm - 6pm
6/2 - Field Trip: Beach Clean Up
6/6 - Minimum Day
6/7 - Minimum Day: Promotion
6/8 - Minimum Day: Carnival: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! PARENTS, TAG!  YOU'RE IT!